The Plank in My Eye

I have been noticing a disturbing trend on my social media feeds lately.  There are a number of people I am seeing that are posting articles (many not checked for legitimacy) that are calling on society to look at the damage that Antifa is perpetuating.  They would like for everyone to notice that there is violence on “both sides”.  I was speaking with someone as well who challenged me to see that even though white Supremacists aren’t good that answering them with violence and pulling down confederate statues is not doing them any favours.  It’s only stooping to their level.  
Though I would agree that answering violence with violence is ineffectual and that it does give the white nationalists something to point fingers at I am extremely bothered by this pointing of fingers at Antifa and I will tell you why.
When we start a cry of “but look at what the other side is doing too” it makes me think of children, crying to their parents.  It’s classic blame shifting.  I know I did this but it’s not nearly as bad as that!  It’s childish, it’s self centred and dismissive of the real pain that has been inflicted upon minorities.
Also, the ones that I have seen posting these Anifa article have not spoken out about the problems and the dangers of the the White Nationalist and Neo Nazi movements that have been given new life recently.  I know they haven’t spoken out about it, I checked back in their feeds.  When you speak out about one side and give the other a free pass that makes you look like a sympathizer, and maybe you are.  So I would like to address some of the issues that might be a concern to you.
The recent election of Donald Trump as President of the United States has seemed to work as a catalyst for the increasing polarization of communities, more so in the States but also here in Canada.  Last school year our kids would come home from school talking about the latest thing that Trump had done or said and who in their class was for or against these actions.  These are grade 2 and 5 students (more so the grade 5 ones) that, for the most part couldn’t even tell you who our own Prime Minister is.  His election has had broad effect, and not just on his own country.  His word and actions have given voice to the extremes of the political spectrum and they are tugging from both ends at everyone in the middle almost forcing us to take sides.  I see this having ramifications on our next election in Canada and I have already seen some of the effect it has had on the appointment of the leader that was chosen for the prime opposition.  
What do I think is causing this rift?  A lack of empathy.  After all, slavery has been abolished and I’m not racist, so what is the problem?  They are just making a big deal about nothing.  Sure there are white supremacists but it’s just a fringe movement so why should we suffer for the actions of a few.  I have literally been told by a fellow white person that racism doesn’t exist anymore so they should just let it go.  
If it doesn’t affect us we have trouble seeing it.
Lurking just under the surface of the inability to empathize with others if fear.  I see it especially when I speak to conservative christians.  I see a fear of losing their way of life.  I see a fear of the moral integrity of the country slipping.  I see fear of being called out for their own poor behaviour.  I see especially a fear of a loss of influence.  Of not being the most influential voice in the room.  
Politics and religion are two separate things but they have been forged together over the last few election cycles both in Canada and the United States.  Before our last election here I spoke with someone who told me they could not vote liberal because it was an unchristian choice.  I know there is a similar issue in the States where the Republican party is seen as the Christian party.  I do believe there was a time when these conservative political parties did line up more clearly with the values and ideals of Christianity but now is not that time.  The conservative parties of today seem to be acting out in a spirit of fear, in self preservation.  They seem to be further marginalizing the outsider and the foreigner for their own gain.  I have two references to address this.  
The first is 2 Timothy 1:7  For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline.  
Love is supposed to drive out all fear.  If we are able to see the legitimate grievances that our people have inflicted on minorities then we can start to change that and lift others up in love.  We will have the power to stand up under even the worst “consequences” of inclusion and acceptance.  Will our way of life be threatened?  What if it is?  Maybe it needs to be.  Maybe we could stand to not be the loudest voice at the table.  Will it be uncomfortable to analyze our own lives and see where we fall short?  Will it hurt to recognize our own racism and xenophobia?  Ya, it probably will.  It’s hurt my pride to be able to recognize the things I have done that have been harmful to others, the things I have said that have been cruel, the ways I have perpetuated a stereotype, the racism in my own life.  
In our society the white male voice has, throughout our history, held the most sway and influence.  That has also predominantly been a christian voice.  When they look at 2 Timothy 1:7 I believe many of them stop reading after the word power.  They will see that passage as an affirmation of their correct actions.  They might say, “See, I have been given this power by God.  I’m not afraid of anything because I am in control of the situation.  Keeping out the foreigner and making sure I have the most influence is the Godly thing to do because I have the best grasp on the right thing to do to protect our Christian influence.”  The problem with that way of thinking is that it ignores the rest of the verse about love and self-discipline.  We need to make sure we are loving the things that God loves and we need act in accordance to that love even if it means sacrificing our own wants and desires.
So what does God love?  What does God value?  I will tell Jesus did not value.  Money, self-preservation and exclusion.  When I look at the Christian church today it is disheartening to see the number of places of worship that put so much value in these things God is opposed to.  Mega churches that preach prosperity gospel, churches that do not welcome refugees, churches that speak out in hatred of LGBTQ, churches that are fearful of Muslims.  This is not what God values and we each need to challenge ourselves when we see ourselves falling into this trap.  It’s natural to desire security and to want to keep ourselves safe.  Money, self-preservation and exclusion all serve a purpose in our lives.  The issue comes when we start to value those more that the lives of foreigner, the marginalized, the poor.  
I’m not trying to say this in an effort to point fingers at everyone else’s sin while ignoring my own.  I know I have a long way to go with these issues and I have failed many, many times.  My hope is that we can start to do better.  That we can start to mend the reputation of Christianity as exclusive, vindictive, selfish and racist that we have rightfully earned over the centuries.  
I know that God loves the foreigner.  That is a fact that I feel we might be more joyous about accepting.  Why?  Because if he didn’t love the foreigner we would all be out of luck.  How many of us are members of God’s chosen people?  How many of us are Israelites?  I actually don’t believe I know a single one but I do know may Christian people that claim the salvation offered to us through Jesus sacrifice.  If God doesn’t love foreigners, none of us are loved.  Thankfully that is untrue.  There are approximately 100 verses in the bible about love for the foreigner.  My prayer is that we can begin to show the same love for others that has been extended to us.
This is where the second reference some in.  


Matthew 5:43-48 MSG “You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘love your friend’ and its unwritten companion,’Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that.  I’m telling you to love your enemies.  Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.  When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves.  This is what God does.  He gives his best-the sun to warm and the rain to nourish-to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty.  If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus?  Anybody can do that.  If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal?  Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up.  You’re kingdom subjects.  Now live like it.  Live out your God-created identity.  Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”


Such incredibly challenging words, ones no one lives up to!  I know we can do better though.  Every one of us.  We can resist the temptation to blame shift onto others.  We can stop being childish in our desire to look better than the other side.  We can take steps toward empathy and understanding.  
One way I have been challenging myself in this regard is by listening.  I have searched out the voices of BIPOC, Muslim and LGBTQ people that I follow on different social media platforms and I attempt to listen to their voice.  I try to absorb what they say about the effect of the treatment of the Church has had on them.  I try to resist the temptation to be dismissive of that voice.  To really hear how my own words and actions have attributed to their oppression.  It’s very hard to hear sometimes!  It hurts!  But sometime it has to hurt for there to be healing.  

Someone recently shared a beautiful analogy with me that pertains to this subject.  When there is a cancerous tumor in the body it needs to be removed for there to be healing.  Surgery hurts but it is so necessary!  If we don’t get the surgery out of the fear of that pain then the cancer will be left to grow and take over the body, eventually killing it.  It’s the same way with the body of Christ.  We need to go in and remove the cancer that has been allowed to grow.  It will be painful, yes, but it is necessary if we want to be a thriving and whole body.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose Your Own Adventure

How Much Is That A Baby In The Womb

The Friend Scam