Chocolate


I participated in a writing workshop this summer and the first thing we did as an introduction was a writing prompt about chocolate. This was my submission. It had been a while since I had written anything using a particular prompt. I enjoyed getting into the flow of writing creatively again.




One dark, rich and earthy
One white, sweet and buttery
Different in every way
Yet named the same


The dark, flavour subtle
Sits unmelting
I stroke it with my tongue
Turn it over, coax the flavour out
There is depth
A gentle smoky sweetness
Nuts, coffee and warm seats by the fire in winter
Comfort
An invitation to stay longer
Linger, settle in.


The White
It seems to start melting before it even hits my tongue

Silky smoothness envelops me
Coating my mouth and throat as I swallow
It’s summer
Bright, light and cool
A refreshing walk on the beach
Toes stretching out into the calm water


I’m drawn more to the dark
Always the dark
The deep nuanced flavours
Subtly different with every bite


Strange that these two should share the same name
Both chocolate but opposite
Each have their uses
More suited for a different application, situation, mood


Most people prefer someplace in the middle
A milk that balances the overt sweetness and the earthy tannins


It’s the same with people
All labeled with the same name, human
So many subtle and overt differences
Bright, sweet, deep, rich, smooth, cool, earthy, bland, warm, nutty, light inviting, flavourful, complex
Some leave a waxy taste in your mouth
Some leave you wanting more
Draw you into their warm embrace
Some just aren’t your flavour
But are just right for someone else


All of us are searching for our favourite flavour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Is That A Baby In The Womb

Choose Your Own Adventure

The Friend Scam