When Women March

I did not attend the Women's March on Saturday, January 21st and I now regret it.  I have a lot of excuses why I didn't go.  It was over an hours drive away, I already had plans, I only heard about it vaguely, I didn't know who else was going and the biggest one, I'm Canadian.

In fact I'm starting to think that my husband might be on the verge of having me committed for my obsession over this Donald Trump phenomena.  So when I heard that there was going to be a march my first though was that he might think I have gone completely off the deep end if I start going to protests of someone who isn't even my President.  Truthfully I didn't expect the march to draw the type of numbers it did.  I thought the Toronto march would be pretty sparsely attended and I might end up standing on the sidewalk with 50 or so lunatics like myself.  In order to spare myself the embarrassment I stuck to my plans.

NO ONE predicted that this would turn out to be a record breaking March across the globe.  It was incredible!

Originally I didn't really see the significance in having protests in countries that would not have to live under the Trump administration but over the last 2 days I have started to think the world wide involvement is quite important.  Even though I live in Canada the Trump Presidency will still effect aspects of my life.  Just for starters his attitude towards climate change is going to have disastrous, world wide, repercussions.  Not to mention what will happen if he starts to purge refugees or starts another war.

I was so happy to hear that all the marches ended up being peaceful.  There was no eruptions of violence and zero issues of police brutality.  For a march of millions that is almost miraculous.  What saddens me however, is that at this day in age a march like this is still necessary.  That someone who has said such despicable things about almost everyone that isn't a white, rich, man could prosper.  That there would be no consequences for the vile rhetoric he has been spewing.  That even though almost every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie he is still being given the benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to continue his deceit.
This is why it was so important that there was a global March.  Because we live in a world where women are still not equal.  A world where almost 100% of woman have been assaulted at least once in their life.

When I first heard that almost every woman has been assaulted I thought, that's not true, I haven't been assaulted.  Am I just one of the lucky ones?  Then I thought a bit more about it and I remember.  I've had my breasts grabbed by random strangers at concerts.  I have had men yell disgusting things at me out the window of a car as they speed past.  I have felt like I'm being followed while walking after dark.  I had a roommate that used to climb on top of me in his underwear and dry hump my leg.  I worked as a waitress and had a customer who would pat me on the butt when I served him.  I'm sure there are more that I am forgetting as well.  These are just things that men expect us to brush off as nothing.  They are things even we ourselves start to think of as not a big deal because it's just part of being a woman.  These are all little indications that a woman's body and choices are not her own.  She does not have the final say on what happens to her because being part of the "weaker sex" means we should just grin and bear it.

What this march says is that we are sick of just letting these things go.  We are tired of having to just deal with the small abuses slowly stacked on our shoulders.  We don't want to end up like the frog in the pot who doesn't notice the heat being turned up until it's cooked.  We want to jump out!  This is why the number of woman and men that marched world wide was so encouraging.  It shows that we are not alone and it sends the message of unity and support to, not only the US but to every woman that is suffering injustice.  At least I hope that is the message that was sent.

For Canada the march might have other implications.  Right now the PC Party is in need of leadership.  There have been a few names that have been mentioned as possibilities for that position.  The two names I have heard as front runners have both been compared with Donald Trump and I find that frightening.  It seems that there has been a polarization of the people world wide with a almost global, political swing to the right.  Our former Prime Minister lead with some fairly xenophobic, anti science and far right leanings and I was fearful of the direction our country could be taking.  That was not the direction we took at the time as Justin Trudeau was elected instead.  However, Britain did not have the same outcome.  When it came down to a choice between Liberal and Conservative for them they chose Brexit, the right winged choice.  I also heard rumors that Australia was dealing with a far right candidate.  Then the US elected Donald Trump who it about as right as right gets.  All this seems to have given our Canadian Conservative Party the idea that far right is the way to go.

My hope and prayer is that the world was watching this March and that they were overwhelmed by the turn out.  That they will get the message that we will not accept the misogyny, bigotry, racism and xenophobia of the right.  That they will open their eyes to the harm that way of thinking is causing.  That if they expect to have the backing of the people and gain the majority vote they will have to seriously rethink their positions and start treating everyone with dignity, justice and respect.

The women have risen up now and we will not go back be being walked on again.  So you can either get on board, or be left behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Is That A Baby In The Womb

Weed In My Heart

The Friend Scam